40 to 60
Designed for 40-60 Minutes
Guitar Pick Object Lesson
- Define music?
- What are the different parts that make up music?
- What kinds of music do you like?
BOOK OF PSALMS OVERVIEW
- Located in the middle of most printed Bibles
- Structured differently than all the other books (looks like poems)
(Song of Solomon is similar.)
- Many are attributed to King David (but that may not be true)
- It is called the book of Psalms but each chapter is a separate Psalm
- All of the Psalms are written as lyrics to a song.
- (For Lutherans) Martin Luther himself wrote a hymn based on Psalm 46 entitled “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”
TYPES OF PSALMS
- Hymns: Songs of praise
- Communal and Individual Laments: Complaints to concerns
- Royal: Dealing with kingly and other royal matters how they relate to God’s royal stature
- Thanksgiving: Songs of thanks
Let’s Dig Deeper / Example
- Turn to Psalm 36
- Listen to Third Day’s song, “Your Love Oh Lord” and see the band’s take on Psalm 36
- Have the group focus on verses. 5-7
- What type of Psalm do you think this is?
- EXPLORING THE PSALMS
- Randomly go through the Psalms
- Find a couple of verses that you like. (and WHY)
- Have each table go around and share the verses they like.
- Have some people share with the large group.
- Hand out the picks
- Use this as a reminder of the gift of music and that the book of Psalms are all about music.
- Picks are almost all in the form of a triangle which reminds us of who God is in the trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)
CLOSE IN PRAYER