Designed for 60 Minutes
Mug Object Lesson
Scripture: Luke 24:13-25 (Walk to Emmaus)
When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. They said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us
WHERE DO YOU FIND YOURSELF?
- We find ourselves in lots of different places
- ASK: Where are you in any given week? Where else do you go (vacation, etc.)?
- But where is God?
MUG OF PLACES
- PASS out mugs
- Mugs represent YOU
- Write on the mug all the places you often find yourself (be specific) and other places you go every so often.
- Turn to Luke 24:13-25
- If possible, act out with three parts: Cleopas, the other walker and Jesus
- Why didn’t they recognize Jesus on the road?
- Why did they recognize Jesus at the meal?
- What was their response to this whole experience?
GOD IN OUR LIVES
- Reflect and get comments on how often we don’t see God in the many places of our lives?
- Why don’t we see God at school, sports, home, etc.
- Psalm 139:1-5
- How can we see God everywhere? What is God always doing? What should we be doing?
- WRITE the word God in any empty space on the mug.
- What can I do to know that God is with me?
- ASK for ideas and examples from the group